Thursday, February 24, 2011

How we met...


How we met…
(The shorter version)

After high school, I debated on whether I wanted to go away for college or not. I was accepted to three different Universities but the thought of moving far away didn’t stick too well. So I decided to attend a community college. A year later, I cross paths with a young man that I didn’t recall seeing before. Luckily, we had mutual friends. After getting the inside scoop, I found out he was a transient student from Louisiana but his mother resided in Florida. For weeks, we would casually greet each other but kept about our business. 

I was part of a dance team that practiced 2- 3 times a week in the back of the gymnasium. Our practice time seemed to always be around the same time Mr. transient was playing basketball in the gym.  Every time I walked into that gym, I would take a good look at him (slyly of course); I was intrigued by his smile, poise, even the way he ran across the court was appealing to me.

Our first actual conversation occurred when I approached him about a fashion show an organization I was part of was planning. I gave him all the necessary information and contacts but he then asked for my number. At the time, pagers were in, so I provided him with my pager number. Playing hard to get, every time he paged me, I didn’t call back. I had the young lady in charge of the show call him back with details about the event. A week later, he informed me that he was not interested in taking part of the show but interested in getting to know me. I thought he was handsome but didn’t want to let it extend any further because I knew he would be leaving for Louisiana at the end of the term.

Then came the next semester, as I am walking into a Financial Accounting class, I see him sitting on the right side of the classroom. I casually take a seat on the left side of the classroom. After class he approaches me and says “it’s okay for you to sit next to me tomorrow”. I couldn’t help but laugh but I sure did sit next to him every day after that. During the course of the months he asked me out twice but I politely said no because I wasn’t looking to get into a serious relationship. Finally, on his third attempt I said yes. He replied, “You’re lucky you said yes because this would have been the last time I would have asked”, I just laughed because I knew he would’ve asked again if I did say no.  That was the beginning of our long awaited journey.

I’m glad I didn’t leave for college, or else I would have never met my other half. Or better yet, I’m happy he decided not to return to Louisiana or else he would have missed out!!

                                                                 Personal Image

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home