Monday, May 9, 2011

Well said...Advice


“Most couples spend more time planning their weddings than their marriages!”


Pastor Samuel M. Dade (Patmos Chapel SDA) mentioned how many couples go to him seeking marriage counseling however, a date has already been set.  He states, couples as such have it all backwards. Premarital counseling should be done prior to setting a date and couples make a decision there after. As he said, I guess my fiancé and I just needed a stamp of approval and not counseling because we too had it all backwards.

It makes sense but did I think of it in that manner? No, I did not.  I am not oblivious to the fact that all marriages have their problems and issues, but I think the approach of how a situation is handled is what separates one marriage from another.

I thought the advice was very true and wanted to share; we may have had it wrong but this is just the beginning of our journey.  We pray to always love and put God first and then we will remember to love each other.  If interested in looking further, get a copy of “The Five Languages of Love” by Dr. Gary Chapman, I’m sure you will enjoy it whether you are in a relationship or not.



Well, happy marriage to all those married or planning!!!

Did you seek counseling or would you consider it?

2 Comments:

At May 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM , Anonymous Vil said...

Hey Kerb!! The book, The 5 Love Languages is excellent! Also, Pastor Dade married us! Anywho, I think marriage counseling is a must. Del n I went through counseling with Pastor Herman Davis (Mt. Sinai S.D.A.), and he said the same thing to us when we initiated that he gives us counseling. He stated, we were late in starting and our wedding was only a year and two months away....lol.

Pastor Davis made us buy a workbook that we each had to do weekly for 12 weeks. The book is called, Before You Say I Do! I love this book, something everyone, whether in a relationship, engaged or married can work on it. We worked on it on separately, than got with each other, and than the pastor made it come together at the end of the each week.

I learned stuff about myself that I never thought affected my relationship, and were dating 5+ yrs at the time of counseling, it definitely was was a growing experience for the both of us. So, speaking from experience, I recommend everyone to take MARRIAGE COUNSELING!!!!!

 
At May 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Kerbie said...

Hi Vil! Wow a year, then I am REALLY behind. Thanks for the information; I am going to look into that book & workbook. I will definitely keep you posted on how it goes. You would think since you were dating for more than 5 years that you would know all that you needed to know.

Thanks for your input; hopefully someone else will take in what you said as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home